Sunday 25 October 2015

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms 4 STARS
by George R. R. Martin

Game of Thrones entwined with fairytale flare.

Well I finished this a week or so ago and even I'm still frustrated that I can't quite give it 5 stars! So lets get that one bad thing over with shall we. To be honest it's personal and probably won't bother some of you, so, huzzah, you'll have a 5 star book on your hands. 
It's the names. They're long, and when I'm reading a ream of them because there's quite a lot of fetching knights having a joust, well, I start to get that deadpanned look. So sorry George, but a book that annoyed me in any way couldn't get 5 stars.

HOWEVER, the rest of it I loved! If you've read Martin's The Ice Dragon then you'll see that the same style is repeated here. It has this fairytale tone to it that makes it feel so comfortable as you read, but it has an adult twist. For, you know, those fairytale loving kids like us, who grew up and like a good punch of blood, guts & glory in a story!

I honestly thought it was a newly written prequel when I bought it, little did I know that these stories were written years ago as part of collections. If the rest are as good as these three (I think) that made up this book, then the collections are going on my to be read list, because I was reading this book in every spare minute I could find.

The stories centre around Dunk, a hedge knight, and Egg, who later becomes his squire. Now in the world Game of Thrones this should not be a spoiler, so sorry if you are hugmongus-ly behind, but Egg is actually Aemon Targaryen, the maester from the Nights Watch and one of my favourite characters from the books. I really liked him for his wisdom and genuinely kind nature, so was rather excited to read about his childhood exploits. I was not disappointed. He's a bit of a brat at times so be warned, but a character that made me laugh and who had a touching relationship with Dunk. 

I think Dunk's a great character by the way. He's only young, but he's chivalrous, a gentleman, and did I mention a klutz! He's so relatable to so many of us. He's a dreamer and socially awkward, but he just carries on as we follow him through his adolescence and adventures. I was like, good for you, you lovable oaf! 

Not to mention there's a whole cast of great characters described in wonderful detail by Martin that really brings the story to life. These tales have everything from a beautiful female puppeteer (that reminded me of Shae), to a wizened old lord that gets the perky young widow who drowns her enemies in sacks! There's jousting, battles, secrets, deception, spies and tricksters, all told in a way that'll make you edge ever closer to the pages to soak it all in.

AND the pictures! All adult books should be illustrated! Flicking through, it seems every second page has an illustration upon it by the very talented Gary Gianni. They're so fine and have the smallest of details that make this a book to treasure. There isn't much better than having words conjure an image in your head, only to have it realised by another person on paper.

If you love Game of Thrones, whimsical fairytales and/or tales set in rich, medieval lands and a few bouts of good 'ol battering and bruising, then this is the knights tale for you.

And now I'm impatient for GOT The Winds of Winter again!

*Want to read this now? Liked it yourself? Fan of George R. R. Martin? Please let me know in the comments! :) 

(& thank you so much if you're here & please bear with me as I continue to set up my blog in my spare time x)

No comments:

Post a Comment